June 30, 2017 by elnadesbookchat
Invision: Chronicles of Nick #7 by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Read by Holter Graham
Summary from Goodreads:
Think your life is complicated and confusing? Nick Gautier was born to bring about the end of the world…It’s not easy being the heir of a demon overlord.
But Nick is determined to thwart his destiny and get into a good college. To be more than his genetics and prophecy foretell. No one is ever going to tell this stubborn Cajun who and what he really is. Or how to live his life.
Not even the Fates of the Universe. But now that he and his team of ancient gods and demons have claimed the Eye of Ananke and he sees the missteps of the future, he has to battle the demons within that are far deadlier and more treacherous than any he’s battled before. All the while his arch nemesis is back and determined to reclaim his place as the harbinger for Armageddon. Even if it means killing Nick and barbecuing everyone he loves to do so.
This will be my last review of this series for awhile, until September when book 8 comes out. As I stated last week, I will probably read that one instead of listening to the audio. It’s not that I don’t enjoy listening to Holter Graham, but the story is becoming too convoluted and there are too many characters that at times I feel myself becoming confused, and it is too hard to flip back to previous chapters in an audiobook. That is probably the biggest downfall of audiobooks. That said I still enjoy the books and will continue the series, just in a different format.
For this review I thought I would do something a little different. Instead of talking about this book in particular I thought I would list the 10 reasons I like the series so much and why maybe you should pick it up. (Pictures are from the author’s website.)
- Nick Gautier. He is one of the most complex characters I’ve come across. Half demon, half human, he is destined to end the world. But it is his human half that endears him to everyone he meets, including many demons. Many of his friends and even his enemies often remark that he is not like the other Malachais. I also really love his humor and his bravery. He also lets his heart choose who is friends and enemies are.
The bromance between Caleb and Nick. In the first couple of books, Caleb was surly and resented having to watch over Nick because Adarian ordered him to. But as he gets to know Nick and understand him, he comes to love him as a brother. Their humorous banter often makes me laugh out loud. Caleb’s backstory is also heart rendering and so very sad. It breaks my heart every time we learn more of how he became who he is.
- Bubba and Mark and their zombie survival classes. Bubba and Mark also add to the humor of the books. They are quite the pair and always good for a laugh. Bubba’s history is also quite sad, but his future is looking better. I also appreciate how Bubba is sort of a dad to Nick and is always willing to fight for him no matter what he is up against.
Necoda. She was sent back in time to kill Nick to prevent him from destroying the world. But once she met him she wanted to give him a chance. She saw the good in him and thought that maybe he could save the world instead. She becomes his girlfriend and his anchor for his humanity. She can always bring him back from the brink of losing himself to his Malachai form, just by touching him.
- Simi. She is my favorite demon friend of Nick’s. She always just shows up out of the blue, but at the most appropriate times. She is also very amusing, always wanting to eat anything human or demon as long as there is enough barbecue sauce. I also love Holter Graham’s voice for her. When I’m reading the books, I’m sure my brain will filter in Holter’s voice for Simi. She is also fiercely loyal to Nick and his friends.
- Mythology and religions. Nick’s story is based in so many mythologies it is hard to keep up. So far I’ve seen evidence of Greek, Roman, Norse and some Christian. Many of the Gods and Goddesses Nick encounters are from these mythologies as are many of the realms he goes to. It keeps things interesting and it certainly keeps you on your toes.
- Creatures. So many different creatures, both good and evil. There are not just werwolves in these stories, but werbears, wertigers, and many others that can change from human to animal. The evil creatures also come in a variety of shapes and sizes, some might even give you nightmares.
- The demon hunters world. Sherrilyn Kenyon has created such a rich and diverse world that includes so many books and characters. It would maybe take me a year to get through them all. But at least in the Nick books she has written a world where humanity and love hopefully will overcome the evil in the world. I also love the New Orleans setting. It is a place I’ve always wanted to visit and see many of the sights mentioned in the books.
- Cherise, Nick’s mom. It is due to Cherise and her love of her son that makes Nick who he is. I love their close relationship and the protective nature in both of them. Cherise is a very strong person in her own right, but she has no idea of Nick’s destiny, but she is such an important part of it.
- Sherrilyn Kenyon’ Website. This website is one of the best of any series I’ve seen. It lists characters and their attributes extensively. It is my go to when I need help with a character and their motives or lineage. It also has lots of other good resources and news about upcoming books and appearances.
Well that is it. I hope this list maybe has convinced you to try one of Nick’s books or maybe checkout her Dark hunter series. I understand that they have far more romance and maybe violence than the Nick books. And I guess there is one more thing I like about the books, they all have a little trailer to go with each one. Here is the very short one for Invision: