A new year and a new decade have begun. But before I look forward I wanted to take a quick look back. Here are my stats according to GoodReads.
For some reason it shows that I only read 177 books. I know I am missing a few, because I didn’t record some of my re-reads, but my last two books are not showing up on the list. Anyways, according to my calculations I actually read 186 books this year. Hmm, I seem to recall that I was trying to read less this year, but I actually read five more books than last year. Of course I was choosing shorter books this year as well, so I guess that plays into the total as well.
Regardless of how many I read, I feel like it was a pretty good year. I finished a few series, I found some new authors and just really enjoyed many of the books I read this year. I kind of talked about my favorites already this year with some of my December posts , 12 Days of Christmas and favorite covers, so I won’t bore you with too many more. I do have a couple that weren’t covered by those post, so here they are.
Favorite New to me Authors
Most of these authors have been around for awhile, but I just discovered them. I loved all of their books and can’t wait to read the rest of their series or their other books.
Favorite Debut Author/Book
This book just totally entranced me. I will keep an eye out for anything by this author and hopefully there will be more. Loved this book, a retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses fairy tale. If you haven’t read it yet you should.
Reading Goals for the New Year
I have already mentioned some of these but here they are again with a few extras.
- Read less books so that I enjoy them more. While some people might admire how many books I read, I still feel like I don’t enjoy them as much as I used to when I read less.
- Be more selective of the ARC’s I choose on Netgalley. I already do this but I need to work harder at it.
- Give priority to reading the books I already own. This is a goal I’ve had for awhile, but I am really getting aggressive about. I’m putting off reading some new releases in 2020 so that I can get through all of these books.
- Fantasy is still my go to genre, but I’m still working hard to read other genres more often.
- Find more ‘adult’ books to read. While I still enjoy YA and middle grade books and will not ever give them up, I have found some adult books that I have really enjoyed this year and need add more of those to my TBR.
I hope that 2019 was a wonderful reading year for you, and that 2020 will be even better. Happy New Year all!